Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Quilt For Mara

I have a lovely friend here named Mara, who will be celebrating her 80th birthday just after I leave for my new home in Victoria.  She’s very proud of becoming an octogenarian and won’t mind at all that I have told you she is turning 80 soon.  In fact Mara is my role model…..if I am half as active as Mara is when I turn 80 I shall be awfully proud of myself.  She takes long walks, is considering taking up tennis again, is very socially active, and is also a keen gardener and mows her own lawn.  She also drives extremely well, and get this, takes a yearly trip back to England to see her brother and other relatives.  I tell you, this lady is amazing!

Anyway, when one of Mara’s daughters told me she was about to turn 80 and that the daughters were getting together to buy her a new bed, I decided I would make Mara a quilt for her new bed.  Mara loves bright colours so I thought that finally I’ve found a project to use up at least part of my stash of Kaffe fabrics.  And yesterday, just as I completed writing the label on the quilt, who should come knocking on my door, but Mara bearing a lovely Christmas card. 

So I thanked her, and asked her inside as I had something for her too.  She was just totally floored when I gave her her first ever quilt.  She is absolutely thrilled with it and it now takes pride of place on her bed.  She tells me she needs to make new curtains now.   When you look at the quilt you will see that she will have endless options for choosing colours for her curtains.

And that is my final project to be made during my four year stay in Tasmania.  The sewing studio is looking rather sad now in its packed up state.

100_0275

100_0276

2 comments:

  1. I can see why Mara was so thrilled with her gift from you! It is a stunning quilt Kali! I can hardly believe you have been living in Tassie for 4 years! Happy Packing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year Kali, that quilt is really lovely, Mara is such a lucky lady. As for your sewing studio, how exciting/daunting, but just think of where you're moving to. Look forward to catching up. Hugs R

    ReplyDelete