Monday, April 12, 2010

I found the magazine Julie!

Yes, I’m speaking to you Julie D.  It must be a week or two ago that you asked me if I had Quilters Companion No. 18, and although I searched high and low, I couldn’t find it anywhere.  I was quite sure I still had it, as I began making Candied Hexagons while I was living in Canberra…and I was equally sure that I hadn’t thrown any of it away.

Anyway, in the middle of the night last night I woke up and thought again about the magazine and the hexies, and suddenly knew exactly where they were.  In a basket, hiding under the Lynette Anderson quilt that I had also begun making but haven’t yet completed.  I wasn’t quite sure where that basket was, but I knew what it looked like.   Seeing as our weather has turned very wintery here in Tasmania I didn’t dive out of bed and go out to the studio to begin searching immediately, but I did do that this morning…and went straight to that basket, and there was the magazine, the hexies and the templates.  How about that!

I know you have managed to obtain a copy of the magazine now, so I won’t send you mine…in fact I may just make the occasional hexagon and see if I can’t at least make a mini quilt from them.

So here are the photos of my find…

Candied Hexagons

More Candied Hexagons

I have been a busy little beaver the past couple of weeks, and have also completed Block 2 of The Civil War Bride

Civil War Bride 2

I also spent 3 to 4 hours every night for a week unpicking the quilting I did on my Reindeer Quilt.  I had thrown it in the cupboard in disgust after I quilted it just before Christmas as I had used an inferior batting and this little quilt ended up looking like something the cat had dragged in.  Finally I was inspired to remove every single quilting stitch and will now set to and quilt it again.  This quilt is about lap sized and is very cute.

Reindeer Quilt

The nights have become very long down here again now which is great for getting lots of sewing done…I’m waiting for the postie to deliver my next BOM block from Material Obsession and from Annie Downs.  I don’t think I’ve shown you my block from the Jan Patek quilt that I’m making from The Home Patch, and I can’t find it on Anni’s site either….so I’ll take a photo in my next blog to show you.

Other news….I’ve started once again on Tony Ferguson to whittle away the excess kilo’s I’ve put on recently…boy it makes me feel good.  Hope I can continue for ages on it.

And my exciting news is that my mate Lynette phoned me and enticed me into going to the Australasian Quilt Convention.  She and a friend will be there for the week doing all the classes.  Doing classes drives me insane cos it brings up all my insecurities, so I’ll just take my time viewing all the gorgeous quilts and goodies for a couple of days.

More next time…..

3 comments:

  1. Oh Kali, I love your little Hexies, they are beautiful, as is all the beautiful show and tell you have shown this post. I'm so glad you are redoing the Reindeer Quilt it is delightful. Civil War Bride block is gorgeous! I can't wait to see the other BOM you are working on, you are inspiring me to remove my digit and get working too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your CH quilt fabrics and hexie blocks look wonderful, Kali! I'm making the same quilt - hand-piecing - and am enjoying it so much. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Sunny Days quilt! I will go look for the site you mentioned and see about getting the patterns. Your raindeer top is amazing. I'm glad you're going to fix the batting problem because it's just too pretty to toss aside. Your CWB quilt block is breathtaking. I'm working on blocks for that quilt right now too. I'll see you over on the CWB quilt blog.

    ReplyDelete