Thursday, December 31, 2009

CHRISTMAS IN ANTARCTICA

I have a good friend who travels to Antarctica regularly as part of her work in studying penguins at The Antarctic Division here at Blackmans Bay.  This year Barb will be away for three months, two of which have already passed…how time flies.

They have quite a comfy base down there and the staff work hard to keep everybody entertained in their offduty hours.  Christmas is always a huge affair, and Barb sent me some piccies of the day this year.  They chose a tiny little Santa with big strapping guys as his elves.  And as you can see, Santa arrived in style in his ‘sled’.

Santa is coming

Santa's ride

Santa & elves

A few days earlier a bit of a snow storm was starting to happen.

window view

This is one of the penguin colonies at Amanda Bay.

Amanda Bay_29 Nov 09

It’s been as hot as hell here today (35) which doesn’t happen too often in Tassie.  So I’ve been entertaining myself looking at all the snow photos Barb has sent me.   During the afternoon she phoned me and told me it was about –2 degrees…sounds pretty good to me!

Happy New Year everybody!

1 comment:

  1. Looks a bit chilly for this little Penguin! May start looking good in February when I have had enough of Queenslands summer!

    ReplyDelete