Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Labradoodle Kind of Day

Yesterday I took the girls off to the beach as is usual.  Beautiful day, the kind that just makes you feel glad to be alive.  Unfortunately there were no dogs on the beach.  Up and down we went with not a sign of another dog or it's master.  Huge disappointment written all over Molly's face.  So I figured we could do another lap of the beach and maybe somebody would come along.  We walked right up to the far end of the beach, and when I looked around I could see that there was indeed another dog on the beach.  And then another.

As the first dog and owner approched I saw that it was Toffee and her owner who we had met the previous day.  Toffee is a medium sized labradoodle and much darker brown than Molly is.  But a gorgeous dog and there was great excitement as the two played.  Then along comes another labradoodle and his owner.  This one was Charlie and he was a cream colour and slightly smaller than Molly. It turns out that Molly and Charlie have the same mother.  Well those three dogs (plus Ebony in the mix as well) had themselves the BEST time!  All the way down the beach they cavorted and leaped as only a labradoodle can do.

By the time we reached the end of the beach Molly was actually showing signs of weariness so I slipped on her leash and we headed back to the car.  Ebony has special priviliges (which she gave to herself) and doesn't get put on the lead until we reach the carpark.

As we were crossing the little walking bridge to get across the little river to the car, I came across yet another labradoodle.  This time a cream puppy.  I didn't look at his owner until she spoke and said hello to Molly, and asked if I remembered her.  Of course I did.  A couple of months earlier she met me in the carpark...she had been waiting for me.  She told me that she had just had to have her beloved dog put down and she just wasn't coping without a dog for company.  She said she had really fallen in love with Molly and wondered where I had gotten her.  So I told her, and we had a long talk and then I wished her well, and we parted.

She said she went home and looked up the Labradoodle website and saw that there was this little cream male for sale, the last of the litter.  So off she went up to the north of Tasmania to go and look at him.  And fell in love.   He is absolutely gorgeous and I have to say I wanted to snavell him away from her myself.  She has named him Olly...I guess she named him after Molly... as Molly had taken up such a huge chunk of her heart.   And she is just loving life with Olly so much, she was talking to me about whether she would be doing the right thing in getting another puppy which would arrive when Olly is 6 months old.  I told her to go for it...labradoodles adore canine company.  So as we parted, she was off home to look up the website again.

And this lady, whose name I still don't know, is now such a very happy woman.  And I just can't wait to watch Olly grow up, and then to see his new little buddy.

So yesterday felt like such a very special day...I loved it.  And I really must ask Olly's owner what her name is the next time I see her.



No comments:

Post a Comment